1.This International Exhibit and Festival recognizes the highest achievements of humour and satire in the following CATEGORIES, each to have its own exhibition area:
- GRAPHICS & DRAWINGS
2.SUBJECT MATTER: The World Lasts Because It Laughs
Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE, Gabrovo Municipality, the Ministry of Culture and the Humour of the Peoples Society; the Organizing Committee is chaired by the Mayor of Gabrovo.
May 16, 2009, at 11:00 a.m., Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE
The exhibitions will run until September 30, 2009
A jury of professional artists and former Biennial winners selects the works for the exhibitions and awards the prizes. The decisions of the jury are final and there is no appeal.
- GRAND PRIX - the GOLDEN AESOP statuette, 2 000 BGN, a certificate and an invitation to stage a one-artist show during Biennial 2011.
- PRIZE of the town of GABROVO - the GASCAR statuette, 1 500 BGN and a certificate.
- Prizes (six) of the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Bulgaria – 1 000 BGN each and a certificate in each category.
- Prize for sculpture awarded by Skalni Materiali JS Co–Rousse – 2 000 BGN and a certificate
- Prize of Skalni Materiali JS Co-Rousse - 1 000 BGN and a certificate - awarded to a young sculptor (up to 35 yrs.)
- Prize of LIONS CLUB of Baden/Helenental, Austria - 500 EUR and a certificate - awarded to a young Bulgarian graphic artist (up to 30 yrs.)
- Prize of the Humour of the Peoples Society - 400 BGN and a certificate
- Prize of Inter Data Systems, Co. - professional Lowepro photo backpack and a certificate; prize goes to the funniest photograph submitted.
SPECIAL SUBJECT MATTER PRIZES
- Prize for poster of the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Bulgaria on Life Free of Tobacco Smoke – 800 BGN and a certificate
- Prize for cartoon of Prestigio Technologies Ltd. on The Art of hi-Tech – Prestigio Data Safe I external hard drive
- Prize for photograph of Prestigio Technologies Ltd. on The Art of hi-Tech – Prestigio Data Safe I external hard drive
- Prize for poster of Prestigio Technologies Ltd. on The Art of hi-Tech – Prestigio Data Safe I external hard drive
- Prize for cartoon of the Directorate of CENTRAL BALKAN National Park on Safeguarding Nature - a 3-day visit to CENTRAL BALKAN National Park and a certificate.
- Prize of Gabrovo Planet Society - the Gabrovo Planet statuette, 100 BGN and a certificate - awarded to the best work on Gabrovo subject matter.
The cash prizes in BGN (Bulgarian Leva) are subject to taxation in conformity with Bulgarian law. The prize winning works remain in the Humour of the Peoples collection of the Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE. The latter reserves the right to extend personal invitations to the prize winners to attend the prize-awarding ceremony.
GENERAL ENTRY RULES
The competition is open to all artists who accept the conditions of entry. The working languages are Bulgarian and English. In case of disagreement on the interpretation of the text, the Bulgarian text is the valid one.
2. DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES: March 1, 2009
ADDRESS: HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE
68, Bryanska St., P. O. Box 104, 5300 Gabrovo, BULGARIA
For contacts: Tel. +359 66 /807248/; +359 66 /803526/; +359 66 /804945/
Fax: +359 66 /806989/
E-mail: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
The conditions of entry (in Bulgarian, English, German, French and Russian), the jury members and the recognition of the entries received, selected and awarded can be viewed at http://www.humorhouse.bg.
INDIVIDUAL NOTIFICATION WILL NOT BE MADE TO BIENNIAL ENTRANTS.
3. All art works should be originals signed by the entrants and entrants' property. They should not have been awarded before. Any technique is acceptable.
4. MAXIMUM SIZES
- CARTOONS A4 (29 x 21 cm)
- GRAPHICS & DRAWINGS 70 x 100 cm
- PAINTINGS 150 x 150 cm
- SCULPTURE 80 cm maximum height and 20 kg maximum weight
- POSTERS 70 x 100 cm
- PHOTOGRAPHS 30 x 40 cm
5. Each artist may submit up to 5 entries for each category, but no more than 2 works can be selected for exhibition.
6. The artist's name, title of the work, year of creation, technique, value and category type should be printed on the back of each entry. Each work should be accompanied by an entry form completed in capital block letters in either Bulgarian or English.
7. Unless indicated otherwise, all entries submitted will be considered donations to the Humour of the Peoples collection at the House of Humour and Satire; therefore, artists are requested to complete and sign the Certificate of Donation on the entry form. The organizers greatly appreciate these donations which will significantly enhance the international collections to be enjoyed by all. The donors' names will be listed on the homepage of the House of Humour and Satire; the donated works will be shown in future exhibitions both in Bulgaria and abroad.
8. Artists who cannot donate their work and explicitly indicate TO BE RETURNED on the entry form should deposit by September 30, 2009 the following return sums which cover packaging, dispatching and postage charges:
- CARTOONS, GRAPHICS, DRAWINGS, POSTERS and PHOTOGRAPHS – 20 EUR
- PAINTINGS – 80 EUR
- SCULPTURE – 130 EUR
The artists will have their works returned by December 31, 2009.
Works lacking return postage by September 30, 2009 and unclaimed by the artists until December 31, 2009 will be registered in the Humour of the Peoples collection.
9. The return sums can be sent by:
- Bank transfer to:
House of Humour and Satire
DSK Bank PLc – Gabrovo branch
IBAN number: BG83STSA93003110025400
BIC code of DSK Bank Plc: STSABGSF
- Money order payable to the Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE
- Cash at the pay office of the Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE (a happy circumstance for the organizers to meet you, the artist).
Sorry, NO cheques or charge cards.
10. All entries should be sent frameless and unmounted as printed matter with PRINTED MATTER noted on the package.
11. Artists should cover the transport costs franco Gabrovo. The organizers will not collect packages sent franco other destinations.
12. The Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE guarantees the safety of the works from the date of receipt to the date of return. No responsibility is assumed for damage or loss during transit.
13. The Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE reserves the right to reproduce the works on display and have them printed in its publications and other publicity materials.
14. The Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE publishes an art catalogue of the works selected for display. Only artists with selected works are entitled to a free copy. The catalogue is available at the museum gift shop and all other artists can have it for 50 EUR (postage included) remitted according to item 9.
15. The conditions of entry are contractually binding. By submitting works to the Biennial Exhibition artists agree to the terms of this contract.
ALL ENTRANTS ARE KINDLY INVITED TO VISIT GABROVO ON MAY 16th, 2009 AND ATTEND THE OPENING AND PRIZE-AWARDING CEREMONIES OF THE NINETEENTH INTERNATIONAL BIENNIAL OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE IN THE ARTS, AS WELL AS ENJOY THE HUMOUR CARNIVAL IN